Olympic Trials Day 4 – Esparza, Underwood, and Shields Advance to Finals
In Spokane, WA on Thursday night, three fighters are one match away from being a part of the U.S. Olympic Boxing team.
The winner’s bracket saw three advance to the overall final, with 16 year old Claressa Shields (Flint, MI) continuing her run to be the youngest US team member. Shields defeated Tika Hemingway (Pittsburgh, PA) by decision (23-15) to lock her place in the Middleweight finals.
Hemingway will face Raquel Miller (San Francisco, CA) in the Challenger’s bracket finals to hopefully get another shot at Shields and keep her Olympic dream alive. Miller defeated five time champion Frachon Crews (Baltimore, MD) by decision (26-15).
In the lightweight winner’s bracket, Queen Underwood (Seattle, WA) did her home state proud by advancing to the overall finals defeating N’yteeyah Sherman (Barberton, OH) by a very close decision (25-24). Sherman is hoping for some redemption if she can defeat Mikaela Mayer (Los Angeles, CA) in the Challenger’s bracket finals. Mayer defeated Tiara Brown by decision (23-18).
The flyweights saw Marlen Esparza (Houston, TX) edge out Christina Cruz (New York, NY) to make it to the finals. Cruz takes on Challenge bracket match winner Tyrieshia Douglas (Baltimore, MD) who outclassed Virginia Fuchs (Kemah, TX) in a solid 31-19 decsion win.
The Challenger match finals matches will be Friday, with the winners of each division becoming apart of the U.S. Olympic Boxing team. The matches will be stream live on UniversalSports.com starting at 8 p.m. pacific time.
Flyweight (112 pounds)
- Winners bracket: Marlen Esparza, Houston, Texas dec. Christina Cruz, New York, N.Y., 13-10, to advance to finals
- Challengers bracket: Tyrieshia Douglas, Baltimore, Md., dec. Virginia Fuchs, Kemah, Texas, 31-19, Fuchs eliminated
Lightweight (132 pounds)
- Winners bracket: Queen Underwood, Seattle, Wash., dec. N’yteeyah Sherman, Barberton, Ohio, 25-24, to advance to the finals
- Challengers bracket: Mikaela Mayer, Los Angeles, Calif., dec. Tiara Brown, Washington DC, 23-18
Middleweight (165 pounds)
- Winners bracket: Claressa Shields, Flint, Mich., dec. Tika Hemingway, Pittsburgh, Pa., 23-15 to advance to the finals
- Challengers bracket: Raquel Miller, San Francisco, Calif., dec. Franchon Crews, Baltimore, Md. 26-15
Challenger’s Bracket Finals
- Flyweight (112 pounds) – Christina Cruz, New York, N.Y. vs. Tyrieshia Douglas, Baltimore, Md.
- Lightweight (132 pounds) – N’yteeyah Sherman, Barberton, Ohio vs. Mikaela Mayer, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Middleweight (165 pounds) – Tika Hemingway, Pittsburgh, Pa. vs.Raquel Miller, San Francisco, Calif.